Thursday, November 20, 2014

cogito ergo sum

Sometimes a chance comment can spark off a train of thought that can make you consider where you are and what has changed in your life.

One such comment today made me realize what I had stopped doing. I like to write. Should I say - I used to like writing. Gradually the business of life claimed my time, or so I led myself to believe and stopped writing. It was not a thought out decision and it certainly was not intended, it just happened.

In conversation today, it came up that I was no longer writing and definitely no longer in touch with that part of me. I saw this blog with the last post 2 years ago and my earlier blog. Spent some time reading my posts from way back. I couldn't recognize the writing. It made me think - how easily does 'life' claim you. Not for it the abrupt ending that Death brings. Just the meandering away of intent and focus. It is this which I admire in people who simply write - and have written since the time I have known them.

Life has brought across several memories in the years past, there are thoughts and ideas and beliefs formed, however those have returned to their ephemeral form. Sometimes when you sit back and try to capture those will-o-wisp's, they just filter through your thoughts and are gone, leaving behind just a faint trace of that time.

In this day of 140 character expressions and SMS language, I might be an anachronism. I prefer to write my sentences. What I want to see is if my affinity for putting thought to word has atrophied or if it lurks in some vestigial corner of my mind which has not been claimed by the need for day to day interaction.

So, I will force those creaking mental muscles into use and start all over again.

Cogito ergo sum.

No comments: